Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Falling in love with PBS again


(One of my pictures. Not as good as the Dude's)

In this busy, crazy life of mine, it is a relief to sit down and watch a documentary on PBS. It's like yoga for my brain. The mellow voices. The long camera shots. The beautiful history. Such a relief from modern, jerky, witty, speedy, extreme TV. It inspires me to look into history, to start reading good, rich literature again. It reminds me of the richness possible when we take time to enjoy the world around us, to study it, to fight for it. At this moment, I am laying down on my couch, looking at my beautiful story-filled piano, listening to words that inspire me.

We live on such a beautiful earth. What am I doing to improve it, to document it?

Tonight I pick up my Wallace Stegner again, hoping for dreams about the land.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, Wallace Stegner. What a writer! He is one of my favorites. He taught at Stanford I think. Larry McMurtry was one of his students.

Marge Bjork said...

I'm so tired of witty.

Have you read the Sherlock story "Sign of Four" Watson falls in love. It's great.