Monday, September 14, 2009

Dear Writers of Educational Textbooks,

I realize that the "trend" in education now is for everything to be research based. I whole heartedly support that. Go for it. But is it really necessary to list every single researched source in the middle of your thought. I find your thoughts hard enough to understand what with your posturing vocabulary and your abundance of acronyms, and then you break it up with a set of parenthesis with strange names and dates sandwiched in between. My brain is tired enough from trying to keep up with differentiated instruction and classroom management techniques during the day to try and really understand your over abundance of references in the evening.

And while I'm on the complaining train, what's with telling me "In chapter 3 you will learn about (insert something mildly interesting here).....In chapter 5 you will learn about...." ETC, ETC, ETC! Just teach me in Chapter 1 what you want to teach me in chapter 1. Wait until chapter 3 to talk about chapter 3, and please, PLEASE leave chapter 5 in it's place. Don't waste my time and yours by adding all these hints of what is to come.

Sincerely yours,
A surprisingly informed reader