Saturday, August 1, 2009

Placing bets

I am not a morning person (yes, I hear your laughter). Most of you already knew that, but I had to say it to bring what I am about to say into context. I am getting to a point though, where I want to be. It helps in my profession to be a morning person. Really, really helps.... The morning is also one of the only times where I can do things and not get side tracked by someone else, whether it's the Dude or a friend, suggesting something much more alluring that whatever it was I was attempting to do at the time. Setting time aside to create art is important in my life. And I have even been known to get up before 4:30 to get the perfect shot of the sunrise or balloons ascending (these I snapped on vacation). Art I have found is the key to getting myself up early. Wave an art project in my face and I will get up earlier than anyone who knows me would ever dream that I could. Art and road trips. I am a sucker for a good road trip. And for me good is made up by the people in the car with me. I even go on a road trip every year for my birthday. And I usually try and include an art project in the festivities.... Hmm... What will I do this year? I've decided to celebrate my birthday for a whole month this year. ANYWAY!

Back to getting up early for art. So I can get up at the most disgusting hours of the morning to GO somewhere for an art project. The problem is rolling out of be to shuffle the room next door that is my studio and attempting to create before my eyes have lost their sleepy reflexes. That's what I struggle with. Especially on those dark winter mornings when my body insists that I am not an evolved, semi-mature, well educated human being, but instead a nice fuzzy, comfortable, sleepy bear that needs to hibernate for the rest of the dark cold winter. It's the sun that turns me into a human being. And that silly sun takes oh, so long to appear in the winter.... mmmm.... sleepy bear....

So! They say (don't ask me who "They" are... they just are and that's all that matters) that it takes 30 days to establish a good habit. It's August now. Who thinks I can convince my body that I'm a morning person before Labor day? Anyone? Well at least the crickets are on my side....

I think that will be my goal for the rest of this year.

No comments: