Monday, March 17, 2008

Peace



I have been feeling close to panic since Saturday when we went to go look at our house again. For some reason all the colors that we had decided that we were going to paint the walls just felt wrong. Least you imagine a huge headache ahead of us caused by having to change the wall colors, I must explain that the colors we had chosen were still on paint chips in our hands not actually on the walls yet. Something started bugging me while we were there and I didn't realize until later on that day that it was the colors we had been dreaming about. They were all wrong. They were for someone else's house not ours.

That piled on top of dishes, piled on top of boxes (now strewn all over our house), piled on top of laundry, piled on top of my job, piled on top of the dude's job has created the near state of panic in which I now live. Oh, did I mention the hordes of people that seem to be everywhere I go? I am not a crowd person. In fact I'll do just about anything to get out of one. Tonight I told the dude that I wanted to run away to Alaska, and that I would love it if he would come with me. That's where I wanted us to run away to when I almost canceled our wedding, too.

Back to the current state of panic. Tonight we went to the big box hardware mecca and looked at their two walls full of paint swatches (for lack of a better term. It's late!) We didn't even discuss the colors as we were looking at them. We just grabbed ones that we liked and headed out the door. Oh, I forgot, the dude had a lengthy conversation with someone at work. While that was happening, I was wandering the painting supply isle convincing myself that we did NOT need to buy all the supplies this very night. Then when we got home he did more work and I scanned the new colors we had chosen (with my eyeballs, not the computer--give me a break, I live with a geek, I have to clarify. Although as I'm typing this I see all sorts of loop holes and visuals he could take and go running with). We had one of our favorite flicks on in the background. Not a John Wayne this time. (I couldn't help but notice the wall colors all the way through the movie. I think I have a problem. At least there were no dogs in it.)

The result is a completely different color scheme. Wow! I went from wanting a deep dark blue on one wall in our bedroom to wanting all the walls a terra cotta like color. The kitchen went from a mint green to a pale warm yellow. And the dining room may now end up being a leaf green. The only color that didn't really change was the leaf green that I want in the office/studio, which will hopefully change one day into a nursery. Our house went from a strangers to our own version of a warm spring day in 2 hours (of course, this is all still in my mind). And in the process of that happening, a few minutes of peace were granted to my soul.

Do I really have the guts to paint my room a terra cotta? I think I just might. (Now if I can just get the dude to see it. He was the one that picked that color out, though, so who knows.)

Now if we can just settle the question of what kind of dog to get. (We've moved on from the Rat Terrier to at least 5 other breeds, and the dude is now just hoping for a free dog. He doesn't care what kind.)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

weimaraner?

Jenny said...

Just do it Jackson Polick style!!! JK. Let me know if you need help with anything. I have no life.
And I want to see Emma's blog!!!