Thursday, December 3, 2009

There's something about books and other thoughts

There is something about books that is calming to me. After a day of trying to get very excited students to concentrate on one thing and sit still, an unnatural act even for me, I run away to hide in the library. Today when I walked in the book fair was set up. Even though I can't buy all the books, and don't really want to buy any of them, it was still instantly calming. Like a breath of fresh air.

Speaking of fresh air, I was reading a book called "It's Snowing!" to the first graders today (a very calming, well written book) and at one part it says, "'Baby, smell the snow!' Baby breathes deeply." We all breathed in deeply, and my room did not smell like freshly falling snow. What a disappointment.

The other day I spelled magic with a "j". A small example of how the rest of the day went.

Today I commented on a student's artwork, "Sally, that picture is really fun!"
Sally's response, "I know."

A conversation I over heard, "This Tucan..." (Student 1)
"What's a Tucan?" said Student 2.
"It's a kind of bird." (S1)
"I know." (S2)
"Then why did you ask me?" (S1)
"I just wanted to see if you knew what it was." (S2)

These are all bits and pieces of my day that I wanted to share with you. Now it's time to do what I've been avoiding by writing this wonderful post.... Homework.

2 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

some days are majical, some days just are, some days are the stuff life is made of. You're the stuff life is made of. Muah.

Unknown said...

Well, you know how relaxed I get when I am browsing in a bookstore....