Friday, February 15, 2008

Sounds you can't control

Today I am at home yet again. I had to go to work yesterday, and that was almost sheer torture. Luckily, I have absolutely wonderful co-workers who were able to do the things that I couldn't. I consider the people I work with some of the tender mercies in my life. Without them and the rugrats, the job would be no fun.

Last night just to add some fun to an already difficult day, we went out to eat with some friends. Again a tender mercy, they were seated right before we got there so I didn't have to stand up and wait with the hordes. I don't think I would have made it. We always have such an extremely good time with our friends and last night was no exception. I did eat way too much, though, which brought lots of grimacing into my life.

The excitement of yesterday was too much for my poor weighted lungs, and so I am at home on our big blue couch again. At times I wonder at my state of mind when we picked out this color of couch. We have so much blue furniture! "I'm bluuuuuuue...."

So as I was sitting here on our big blue couch watching the end of "Ground Hog's Day", I started to hear this noise on the other side of the door that separates our apartment from the rest of the house. Our neighbor's playroom is on the other side of the door. No one was home, and yet I heard a toy. It kept trying to go and go. Trying to get its message out to the world. Finally it finished, but then a few minutes later it started again. So periodically I hear this toy on the other side of the door proclaiming how much fun we will have together. I'm not sure how many toys they have that make noises, but this has happened a couple of times since we've lived here. One time it was a toy cell phone that was out in the sandbox when we got home late one night. Luckily that one we couldn't hear once we got inside.

I'm sure you'll be surprised when I state that I'm excited to get into my own home with nice thick walls. And then when our friends give our imaginary kids noisy toys, I will be able to quietly remove the batteries or at least not replace them when they wear out and act like that was the way they were supposed to be. I learned from the best, my very, very wise mother.

I remember once my sister got a "magic" wand from someone for a birthday present that sang the same song over and over and over again. I don't think the wand made it a week before Mom set some parameters for the use of the wand. I believe once a week was mentioned.

Who invented noisy toys any way? I don't even mean drum sets. I'm talking about the toys that have some sort of recorded voice or song that plays over and over and over.....

1 comment:

Marge Bjork said...

I invented them and they are amazing. And so was that wand.